(ISJM) Prayers were heard in the synagogue of
The main entrance to the synagogue, which was first opened in 1875, had been bricked up for many years and was broken open before the holiday and the entrance restored with wooden doors to ready synagogue for the religious service. Attending were about 50 Jews in their 50s and 60s – Holocaust survivors and children of survivors - who used to attend the synagogue before the exodus of Jews from the town during Communist-led anti-Jewish purges of 1968.
The services were held under the auspices of the Beiteinu Chaj-2004 Foundation, founded in 2004 to bring life back to the synagogue and to restore its physical form. For several years the groups have been repairing the building, using it for cultural events, and linking former and present Jewish residents of the town.
To read an article Article from European Jewish Press on Rosh Hoshanah service
For more about the synagogue and the foundation click Beiteinu Chaj-2004 here
For more on Jewish Dzierżoniów see Virtual Shtetl