(ISJM) The (Houston) Jewish Herald-Voice (April 23, 2009) reports that Houston's West Dallas Cemetery of Congregation Beth Israel was named an historic cemetery by the Texas historical Commission. a dedication ceremony to mark the designation was helped on April 26th, 2009. An historic marker was installed.
The cemetery was founded in 1844 to serve an Orthodox congregation. The congregation built is synagogue (Beth Israel), in 1854 - it was the first synagogue constructed in Texas. Located at 1207 West Dallas, the land was purchased by recently Jewish arrivals from Central Europe - Bohemia and Bavaria. Graves from this earliest period in the cemetery's history are located in the northwest corner of the site. In 1936, as space in the cemetery was limited, a mausoleum was erected for above ground burials.
To read more about the cemetery and the ceremony see
"A marker for a sacred place: 165 years old, Beth Israel’s